This policy aims to outline how we – The Goldsmiths' Craft & Design Council – collect and process your data. We may collect your data through your use of this website, communications you have with us, and information that you provide to us when signing up for our competition, newsletter or via the contact form.
We value your privacy and take our obligations seriously; we will undertake all possible measures to ensure that your data is stored safely, processed fairly and only used for its intended purposes. We are committed to being open and transparent about how we use your personal information, so if you do have any queries about this policy or how we collect and store data, please get in touch.
Personal data or personal information is defined as any information which can be used to identify an individual, such as name, postal address, phone numbers or email address.
The Goldsmiths’ Craft & Design Council (GC&DC) is defined as the data controller and holds responsibility for the storage and use of your personal data.
Legitimate business process is defined as the circumstance under which we have the right to store and process your data. For example, if you enter the GC&DC Competition, we will need to register your information to use for sending you updates on your entry, winning letters in the post, collecting data for our records, i.e. university entries – these are legitimate processes that we must carry out to undertake work for the competition you have entered.
Data We Collect
We collect personal data through your use of our website, through our online application process, newsletter sign up form and through any other communications you may have with us. This may be used for a variety of purposes including updates on the competition, invitations to events and analysis of competition data.
Data which we store include:
- Identity and communication-based information including your name, postal address, email address, and telephone numbers
- Details of your university and or business name and address.
- Analytics data including your IP address, location, browser, time zone etc.
- Marketing and communications data relevant to the competition including contact details and opt-in/opt-out preferences
- Note: Payments are made using the secure transaction service PayPal, we do not store or process information such as credit card details.
Your data is obtained by us when you:
- Visit our website
- Call, email or submit an enquiry through the contact form on our website
- Subscribe to our newsletter
- Enter our competition when completing our online application form
- Provide us with feedback
What do we do with the information?
We will use the information you provide to:
- Communicate with you regarding your online application.
- Process and verify transactions such as P&P and image purchases.
- Provide a personalised service to you when you visit our website and email us – this could result in redesigning the content and/or layout of our pages on our website
- Record any contact we have with you
- Prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our website and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf
- To carry out research on the demographics, interests and behaviour of our supporters, entrants and website users to help us gain a better understanding of them, and to enable us to improve our competition and overall operation. This research is carried out internally by our consultants, GC&DC team and council members.
- Communicate with our supporters, entrants and interested parties
Using your information for marketing:
If we contact you by our newsletter, every message we send will include a link to opt out of receiving future messages if you change your mind. If we contact you by other means and you want to change how – or if – you receive our communications, please email email@example.com
When entering the competition you agree for your entry to be used for publicity, promotion or any other business of the Council in support of its work for the industry.
Sharing your information
We will only share your information:
- To the extent that we are required to do so by law.
- In connection with any on-going or prospective legal proceedings.
- In order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights.
Storing your information
Information is stored by us on server/s located in the UK. We may also store information as paper files.
We place great importance on the security of all personally identifiable information associated with our supporters, entrants and other enquiries to GC&DC. We will take every possible technical and organisational precaution to prevent the loss, alteration or misuse of your personal information that is under our control, although we cannot ensure or guarantee this may occur, we use our best efforts to try to prevent this.
Unfortunately, the transmission of data across the internet is not completely secure and whilst we do our best to try to protect the security of your information we cannot ensure or guarantee that loss, alteration or misuse of data will not occur whilst data is being transferred.
We will retain your data only for as long as we need it to provide you with the information and details about our annual competition and associated events.
What We don’t do with your information
We never sell or share your information to other organisations or third parties to use for their own purposes.
The Data Protection Act gives you certain rights over your data and how we use it. These include:
- the right in certain circumstances to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed
- the right to prevent your data being used for direct marketing
- the right of access to a copy of the information we hold about you.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights please contact the Goldsmiths’ Craft & Design Council by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about your rights under the Data Protection Act go to the website of the Information Commissioner’s Office at ico.org.uk
Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your browser when you visit a site. They serve a variety of functions, like enabling the Goldsmiths’ Craft & Design Council to remember certain information you provide as you navigate between pages on the website.
Cookies collect statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns and do not identify you as an individual. This is to ensure that the Goldsmiths’ Craft & Design Council gives you the best experience on the website.
Most browsers are automatically set to accept cookies but you can usually alter the settings of your browser to prevent automatic acceptance. If you choose not to receive cookies, it may result in a loss of certain functionalities when using this website. You can also clear cookies saved on your computer at any time.
For more information about our Cookies Policy please click here.